Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First accident

I got another 5:00 wake up call yesterday. Woohoo! Then Kaitlyn made it downstairs before I finished my coffee so I knew that I wasn't going to be prepared for the events of the day. So yesterday morning I was busy checking my facebook and when I got done I went looking for Kaitlyn. She was hiding under the table and had swallowed an ENTIRE pack of gum. So we dealt with it and moved on. I got the bright idea that I was going to go to Target before school. So I got Kaitlyn out of the car and went to the other side to get Ky. As I was shutting the door, I noticed her fingers in it but it was too late, my body couldn't react to what my eyes were seeing- they were stuck. I had to open the door to get them out! I dropped Kylie's carrier, in what might has well have been, the middle of the road and tried to comfort Kaitlyn (actually it was the next parking space but a car could have pulled in at any second!) . I really didn't know what to do. Kaitlyn kept screaming for a band-aid so I thought, well, we're at Target! She calmed down for a minute and then started screaming again. I called the doctor and made an appointment for 45 minutes from then. So I text my lovely husband, "K hurt, 911, call me." He texts back, "in a meeting". IN A MEETING? HAVE I EVER TEXTED YOU 911??? But I digress... So we get to the doctor, she says yes its broken. You need to have an x-ray and then we'll refer you to a pediatric orthopedist. I'm balling. An orthopedist? For a finger??? Anyway, we went to have it x-rayed and it wasn't broken. When the doctor say it, it was really swollen and nasty but they gave her some Motrin and I think it helped the swelling. Luckily, it looked worse than it was. Today, its not even bruised!
Being a a Children's hospital sure puts things in perspective. There was one boy that looked seriously ill. He checked in and a nurse immediately came to get him like she knew him, and told him they have a big room for he and the family to relax... I got the feeling he had something serious. There were two separate families there will special needs children and a father that appeared to also be special needs. It made my finger not look so bad... I felt kind of silly for how upset and nervous I was for her. Thank God it was only a finger.
Here is a video of Kaitlyn telling you about her finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment