Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First day of School and Sleepwalking




So here is my obligatory first day of school post. I am really excited about this year. So far I am really impressed with her lead teacher, Ms. Lisa, and the assistant, Ms. Elizabeth, is really sweet as well. She will be learning lots of things, including "language arts," "science," "fine arts," and "social development." Seriously. Her teacher is also really interested in birds and animals. In science they will be studying a bird each month and have a bird feeder attached to the window. One person each week is the "bird spotter" who is supposed to be looking for the bird. This month's bird is the American Goldfinch (WTF?) and Kaitlyn has already told me that they didn't see any yellow birds today. I think its neat that she will be learning something outside the box like this.

While we are on the subject of Kaitlyn, I want to tell you about her sleeping habits. She has always been a good sleeper but ever since she got into a big girl bed I realized that she is WEIRD. I have found her napping in the strangest spots: feet on the bed, head on the floor, head on the floor feet on the bed, in a tent with her feet hanging out like the wicked witch of the east, in the closet, in my bed, in costume, naked, in a swimsuit, food in her hand, food in her mouth. You name it, she's slept like that. One time, early into the big girl bed, I went to wake her up from a nap. I opened the door and said its time to get up. She wasn't there. I looked in the closet. Nope. I walked around all upstairs getting more hysterical by the second. Where was she? Kidnapped. I'm yelling at her and she is not coming out of her hiding place. Finally, (with phone in hand, ready to call 911) somehow I walked to the far corner of her room and I saw her sitting straight up, hugging her knees behind her little pink chair dead asleep.

She also sleep walks. She has been for months now but usually I am also "sleep putting her back to bed" so its a nuisance but a few weeks ago, I caught her walking around upstairs, eyes open, crying. She is always crying. I wish I would have blogged about this a while back because I already forgot what happened. Rest assured it was weird and funny and she was dead asleep walking around. I also found that she had walked to a basket in her room and was crying in there. Last night about 10, I heard her crying and she was bawling hanging off her bed. I put her back on the bed and put her blanket on. She took her blanket off and slid off the bed again. We did that about four times. Finally she was awake enough to fall back asleep. There have been probably 50 instances where she has done something weird but that's all I can remember right now.

But she comes by this honestly because many of you know the strange conversations my husband and I have in the middle of the night. Remember the weight lifting incident?

No comments:

Post a Comment